Like macaroni and cheese, or a song and dance, some things work better together – even marketing and sales. Without alignment, it damages your company across the board and doesn’t just affect one of your departments. A study by ranger 43% of CEOs felt that misalignment had cost them revenue. In addition, after Forrester ResearchCompanies that take the time to properly engage and nurture leads will improve theirs Sales pitch at a rate of 50% at 33% less.
The key is meeting your buyers’ needs, but they are not the same buyers they were a few years ago. Today’s B2B buyers are digital natives and expect content to be available when needed, optimized for each device, interactive, and highly visual. They have higher expectations and are better informed, so their research is self-directed – which is expected when millennials are the largest workforce. And did you know that 73% of Millennials are involved in B2B buying decisions?
Optimized content experience with technical data sheets, maintenance manuals, etc. are a need to have to:
- Guide buyers on the optimal buying path
- Gain deeper insight into the audience
- Gain a stronger competitive advantage
- Create better alignment of sales and marketing
We hope this list of B2B Marketing Stats will help manufacturers and industrial companies with their online tactics to grow better and enter today’s new age of B2B buyers.
Statistics on B2B buyers
According to Pew Research & To earnDigital native millennials are the largest generation in the United States. 73% are involved in the purchase of products or services for their companies – and their involvement will only increase as they age. A respondent from Merit’s Millennial B2B Report said: “Although technically I’m not the only decision maker, I have a big influence on what we buy. Basically, I do research to create the shortlist, and my manager almost always agrees with my recommendation – as long as I have the facts to support them. “
- 80% of B2B buyers now expect the same shopping experience as B2C customers (IBM).
- The typical B2B buying process involves six to ten decision makers. Everyone independently searches online for five to six pieces of content to bring to the table. ((gardener)
- 74% of buyers choose the rep that was first Create added value and insight (Corporate visions)
- 20% of millennial buyers start with vendor websites and 17% look for peer reviews (To earn)
- 60 +% of the manufacturers surveyed had their sales and marketing plans influenced by disruptions from COVID-19 (Thomas).
- B2B buyers are increasingly turning to industry platforms. 93% of the Fortune 1000 have buyers who use Thomasnet.com to find new suppliers
See our Missed Opportunity report to see if Fortune 1000 companies are looking for your industrial products and services
Video Marketing Statistics
The attention span of millennials ranges from eight to 12 secondsSo it’s no surprise that some prefer to watch videos. Manufacturers and industrial companies who add videos to their Thomasnet.com company profile see higher engagements in RFI submissions than those who don’t.
- More than half of the engineers and technical professionals surveyed for the Smart Marketing for Engineers 2020 report said they spend at least an hour a week watching videos for work (those 45 and younger said spending most of the time watching videos). ((Institute for Content Marketing)
- Videos beat out heavyweight competitors like email, blogging, and infographics as the most common marketing content type used (HubSpot)
- Marketers who include video in their content strategies saw sales growth 49% faster than those who didn’t (HubSpot)
- Adding a video to a landing page can increase conversion rates by over 80%. Just mentioning the word “video” in your email subject line increases open rates by 19% (HubSpot)
Learn how to use an advertising program to produce a video for free on Thomasnet.com – you can even use our director’s clapboards.
Email Marketing Statistics
Email remains one of the most important ways to connect with leads and stay connected with customers. In HubSpot’s Marketing Status Report, promotional emails were identified as the most common type of email used by marketers. However, manufacturers and industrial companies can get a high ROI on other types of emails such as transactional and welcome notes. Save time and track ROI by using a marketing automation platform to segment your contact lists, personalize your messages, and schedule your shipments.
- Wistia appeared A / B tests on their email marketing campaigns and discovered one 21.52% more image-to-video thumbnail clicks. (Wistia)
- Email marketing has the highest return on investment for small businesses. ((Campaign Monitor)
- Companies that run A / B testing every email get 37% higher returns on email marketing than brands that never include A / B testing (litmus)
- Message personalization is the number one tactic email marketers use to improve performance. ((HubSpot)
Website and e-commerce statistics
According to a current one Thomas industry buyer survey73% of the B2B buyers surveyed stated that they should look to a supplier’s website when deciding whether to submit RFIs. Don’t forget that many of these buyers are millennials, who point out that digital channels like search engines and vendor websites are important factors in finding new products or services. Nowadays, millennials cite trade shows less often than they are important.
You don’t always browse websites on a laptop or desktop. If they are in between meetings or traveling to another location, they are likely browsing on a tablet or cell phone. An optimized mobile experience is important – according to Statista, mobile web traffic has consistently accounted for around half of all global web traffic since 2017.
Therefore, the product data on your website must be clear and accurate. How likely are you to keep a customer after their online order for industrial detergents was canceled at the last minute due to a supply chain issue? Your online product catalog should be created with your customers and sales partners in mind.
- 57% of the professional shoppers surveyed said omnichannel convenience is one of the top three improvements industrial distributors should offer (McKinsey Research)
- More than 80% of the B2B companies surveyed plan to invest in an e-commerce platform to offer their potential customers a unified experience (Network solutions)
- 76.7% of the B2B companies surveyed believe that personalizing the customer experience is the greatest challenge for managing online sales (Network solutions)
- 97% of B2B respondents said it is important that vendor websites offer easy access to content (Demand Gen Report)
- Marketing channels identified as “extremely important” for attracting new customers: website (84%), email (73%) and an increase in virtual events such as webinars (from 15% to 32% after COVID-19). ((Thomas)
Content Marketing Statistics
Content marketing is the process of creating written and crafted assets that buyers can use to do their jobs and learn more about your brand. Statistics from your content marketing efforts guide your strategy and give you detailed information on what works and what doesn’t. It’s not to be confused with sales content – content marketing is designed to gain loyalty from your customers before a sale is made.
Content media include videos, eBooks, blogs, and infographics. If manufacturers and industrial companies diversify content on their website in a sector-specific manner, they are better equipped to connect with buyers in key industries.
Continue reading: 10 content marketing ideas for B2B buyers [With Examples]
- 80% of marketers said that their content marketing goals are better achieved when content is personalized (Seismic and demand metrics)
- 67% of B2B buyers rely more on content to research and make purchasing decisions than they did a year ago. ((DemandGen report)
- For brands that create personalized experiences for customers by integrating advanced digital technologies and proprietary data, revenue increases 6% to 10% (BCG)
“Diversifying the content on our website has really helped us stand out as an industry leader,” said Eoin Lynch, executive director of sales and marketing at Tex Tech Industries. “Some aerospace technologies can be complex, but our graphics, datasheets and videos from Thomas Marketing Services Split it up so buyers understand what they need and how we can help them. “
See which buyers are interested in your industrial products and services in our In-Market Buyer Report. Who could your next customer be?
Digital is the most important channel for B2B sales and marketing
Many manufacturers are adept at keeping their workshops innovative – do you also adapt to the times? Buyers’ habits are constantly changing, and a digital strategy ensures that you can easily change it. Check out our 2020 Ultimate Guide To Marketing for Manufacturers and Industrials how to attract and engage the B2B buyers, engineers, and MROs you want to do business with.