On Wednesday, January 27th, the Outlook on the management of mortgages Phil Treadwell, founder and presenter of the Mortgage Marketing Expert Podcast. Treadwell spoke to Andrew Berman, Director of Engagement and Public Relations for National Mortgage Professional Magazine, about Clubhouse, a new app that is gaining traction in the mortgage industry. Opportunities in voice marketing, secrets of successful podcasts, insights from his meeting with Gary Vaynerchuk a few years ago and much more.
Treadwell is a 17 year old mortgage industry veteran, both as a top mortgage lender and an independent mortgage broker. He is the national director of sales innovation and strategy for Thrive Mortgage and the host of the Mortgage Marketing Expert podcast. Recently named one of the “40 Most Influential Mortgage Professionals Under 40” by NMP Magazine and Yahoo! Named one of the “Top 20 Mortgage Professionals of 2020”. Finances.
Highlights from the interview:
- Treadwell grew up in Neosho, Missouri, and got into the mortgage business after answering a newspaper ad for a mortgage company. In its first 60 origination deals, 45 were manual FHAs.
- In 2008, Treadwell sold its own mortgage brokerage business to Wells Fargo, which was being recruited through acquisition at the time. He went to Wells Fargo where he became a top creator. Treadwell later switched back to the independent brokerage site as he was unable to compete with the 30 day turnaround time policy.
- Treadwell created the mortgage marketing expert’s podcast after looking for a way to improve his recruiting results. He started out online content marketing combined with blogging to build credibility. He later started a page on Instagram called Mortgage Marketing Expert and gave daily tips.
- “After about 30 days, there were about 1,000 people following the page, and honestly, after 90 days, I ran out of things to say,” Treadwell said. “There are only so many one-liners you can imagine, and I needed content. So I didn’t really have a big vision for the podcast. In the end, I started the podcast to attract big leaders in our industry [and] Mortgage Marketing Experts. I didn’t brand myself, I branded the guest I brought with me. I used their quotes to feed this Instagram page. “
- As soon as the podcast exploded, roles traded on social media, where he now used Instagram to promote the podcast.
- MME started with five episodes on June 1, 2018 and will soon be releasing its 100th episode.
- Treadwell was able to secure an interview with Gary Vaynerchuk through persistence and a little retail support. Unlike many others, however, he didn’t have to pay to chat with Vaynerchuk, a well-known entrepreneur and chairman of VaynerX, a modern day media and communications holding company, and VaynerMedia, a full-service advertising agency serving Fortune 100 clients four company locations.
- “What I learned the most from (Gary Vaynerchuk) is… effective marketing is the balance between trust and attention. TikTok lets you do something cheeky and go viral, get a lot of exposure, but that doesn’t mean people are going to do business with you. You could be a trusted industry professional and if people don’t know who you are, you’re still limited to the amount of business you can do. I asked him about this concept and all he said was, “It’s not just trust or attention, it’s relevance.”
- Relevance has now become Treadwell’s rallying cry because it is why people are connected and why something matters to them. It is the reason people can relate and build their own trust.
- Regarding marketing as the ability to get a person’s attention and selling as a way to turn them into a customer, Treadwell shared an important view from Vaynerchuk that marketing is the ability to grab a person’s attention and sell to a customer close. “Ninety percent of the time people think they’re marketing when they’re really selling. You have to stop this. It works like spam, ”Treadwell quoted Vaynerchuk.
- Treadwell also dived into the Clubhouse social media app, which allows people to drop by and listen to conversations in an audio format. You can also follow people and be followed by people. You can see which rooms your followers are in. You can also raise your hand and become a moderator or reply.
- Treadwell said mortgage professionals should join the clubhouse because it’s exploding in the real estate community. Most of the rooms he attends are property related or run by property professionals. So it’s a great way to network with people on the property side.
- “You will learn from some of the best of the best,” said Treadwell. He added that the information he received from a meeting would be worth $ 5,000 to him at a conference if he had to set a price for it.
- “Audio and speech will play a much bigger role in business and in our lives.”
Check out the full interview between Treadwell and Berman below.
Click here to see our previous episode with Keith Lind.
Previous guests are Robert Broeksmit, Josh friend, Joe Dahleen, Tim Nguyen, Kristy Fercho, Tony Thompson, Mat Ishbia, David Luna, Barry Habib |, Rob Chrisman and more.
See all interviews from the Mortgage Leadership Outlook Series on his YouTube channel.